Wednesday, October 3, 2007

The Grad School Personal Statement

In my quest for insight on how to write a personal statement for my grad school applications, I came across this tip:
Don't Bore the Reader. Do Be Interesting.

The best way to grip your reader is to begin the essay with a captivating snapshot. Notice how the slightly jarring scene depicted in the "after" creates intrigue and keeps the reader's interest.

Before: I am a compilation of many years of experiences gained from overcoming the relentless struggles of life.


After: I was six years old, the eldest of six children in the Bronx, when my father was murdered.
Oh, okay, thanks for the advice, Geoffrey Cook. I'll try to use concrete examples of my father's murder, that pogrom I escaped, my expedition into space, or losing my legs in 'Nam.

1 comment:

Prophet Buddy said...

Hey thanks for the comment! I've been wanting to do a itunes podcast, but the whole rss thing confuses me. Any help you can give would be much appreciated! If you want just send an email telling me how to make one in caveman talk. I'll pay you in tshirt form :)